Facts About UK Domestic Tourism
UK Domestic Tourism is Big Business
- One in 12 jobs is currently directly or indirectly supported by tourism.
- British tourism is expected to employ 1.5m people directly and a total of 2.9m directly and indirectly.
- Tourism contributes £115bn to the UK economy equivalent to 8.9% of GDP (2009 figures - latest provided)
- 30.8m Overseas visitors arrived in the UK in 2011 and spent £18billion with the UK ranking 7th in the international tourism arrivals league and 7th in the international earnings league
- British residents took 58.4 million holidays of one night or more worth £13billion and the number of domestic overnight trips was 9%higher in 2011 than 2010 with spending up 14%
For more detailed information about the volume and value of UK tourism go to:
for other domestic statistics and specifics on England:
for specifics on Wales:
and for in Scotland: